Applying the tools to the job
Be comforted in knowing that unlike Google, Which only allows for 2%, engines like Yahoo and MSN allow for higher keyword density. It can be as much as 5% of the total words. As you can see that is quite a significant distance between the Google limits and the others. It is up to the webmaster to recognize which tradeoff will be necessary to involve his site with. A smart webmster will also take in consideration that the copy will have to read well for potential customers and clients. Below are particular strategies that can be applied:
– Titles are a key element in the search engine algorithm. Titles can also serve as a way to display the most sought after keyword on the page. To provide a boost to the page, each page should have a unique title. The most important keyword should be somehow included in the Page Title.
– Have a well linked site map connecting the different supporting pages, to the main targeted page. These links should have an appropriate anchor text, emphasizing the main keyword. The supporting pages should each be a part of the overall theme and provide additional keywords for the focus page.
– Encourage your linking partners to use link anchor text that contains your targeted keywords. Try to strong anchor text from as many incoming links as possible to get your page to appear in the search rankings at all.
– Be careful not to trigger any link text filters by using all identical wording. It is highly unlikely that all inbound links will contain the same link text, but is important to keep the potential triggering in mind.
– In Yahoo and MSN search rankings, Bolding keywords seems to help. Google does not seem to be affected by the bolded keywords, but they are affected with larger size fonts.
– By enclosing the most important words in h1 and h2 tags extra keyword density is achieved. This works with all the search engines is the tags are used sparingly.
– Do not overuse the terms. You could lose your search rankings.
– By adding a blog or forum component to a website, one can increase the overall site total of keywords. A blog is usually updated daily. With these regular postings, a significant number of well themed keyword rich pages to the site. A forum can work on its own for your site. The forums visitor traffic adds unlimited keyword laden pages to the website. Forum members provide many keyword rich incoming links. This moves a site closer to authority site status.
– These naturally attracted incoming links, a hallmark of blogs, are usually accompanied by keyword anchor text and theme related sending pages.
By having an effective title, well linked site map, adding blogs and forums to your site, you are already ahead of your competition. These elements while effective, are overlooked by many. A simple task like bolding a keyword may seem like a waste of time, but it can set you apart from being on page 1 or page 5 of a search result page.